Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Cadets a step towards improved public service

PSA Press Release
November 26, 2003

Public sector cadets another step towards improved public service

The PSA welcomed the announcement today by the Associate Minister for Social Development and Employment of a new public service cadetship programme for school leavers, and viewed it as another positive step towards improving New Zealand’s public services, PSA national secretary Richard Wagstaff said today.

“It is imperative that we increase the pool of young talent in the public service. One hundred new cadets to be taken on by the Ministry of Social Development’s Work and Income Service is a significant step towards that and will provide these young women and men with a solid career path at the same time as rebuilding the capacity of the public sector.”

“Cadetships were available in the public service until their disestablishment during the state sector reforms of the 1980s. They, together with other initiatives such as the Modern Apprenticeship Scheme, are an important vehicle for helping young people make the transition from school to work.”

Richard Wagstaff said career development had been identified as one element of a total funding, recruitment and retention, and career and workforce development package which would need to be implemented to rebuild and strengthen our public service.

“We need to get back to a sense of one public service rather than a lot of disparate organisations, and ensure the public service again becomes an employer of choice. Positive moves such as the public service cadetship programme will assist with that.”

Richard Wagstaff said the PSA would like to see the programme extended across the state sector.

[ends]

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>