Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Manufacturing workers plan major stopwork

Manufacturing workers plan major stopwork

Workers in the manufacturing sector are planning major stopwork meetings in protest at the breakdown of talks in the key Metals and Manufacturing Industries Collective Agreement.

The Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union is warning that the collapse of talks in the Metals will affect bargaining in other areas.

Talks broke down last night after three days of intense negotiations between the EPMU and the Employers’ and Manufacturers’ Association.

EPMU national secretary Andrew Little said that the union had already substantially modified its claim for a pay rise in an effort to reach a fair settlement, but the employers were refusing to come to the party.

“The amount they are offering is below the average wage settlement,” he said.

“The Metals is an important document which affects the wages and conditions of thousands of New Zealand workers. We are not going to accept a mean settlement.”

The union’s entire northern industrial staff met in Auckland today to plan an industrial response to the situation.

Mr Little said that stopwork meetings would begin on Monday at 43 of the companies covered by the Metals.

“We will also being issuing 14 days’ notice of major stopwork meetings involving our members from across the manufacturing sector,” he said.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>