Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

New Export Rules Implemented

MEDIA RELEASE FROM THE NEW ZEALAND CUSTOMS SERVICE

Friday March 5 2004

New Export Rules Implemented

The New Zealand Customs Service thanks exporters, freight forwarders, shippers and port and airport companies for their support in implementing new rules for exports from March 1 2004.

Exporters are now required to electronically lodge an export entry in advance of goods being shipped. Ports and airlines are being advised not to load goods until that entry has been cleared.

New Zealand Customs Service Acting Chief Executive John Secker says he's been regularly updated this week and generally the change to lodging entries in advance has gone relatively smoothly. He says there have been some problems, but through the combined efforts of the export sector and Customs these have been able to be resolved quickly.

He says Customs appreciates the efforts of everyone involved.

"Exporters have been very responsive to our requirements, and that shows their commitment to New Zealand's security."

"Staff at all the port companies, Air New Zealand, Menzies, and the major freight forwarding companies have been very cooperative. We appreciate their willingness to work with us to resolve issues quickly."

Customs Auckland Goods Manager Bill Perry, who's in charge of managing the transition, says there's been minimal disruption at the seaports, with ships loaded and away on schedule this week.

"It's been more challenging in the airfreight environment, because of the tighter time frames, but we believe we have the issues in hand."

Customs will continue to work closely with the export sector. In the IT area, there are some improvements already underway.

"The issues we are continuing to work on are relatively minor, considering the volume of freight that's been exported this week, and overall we are pleased with how this transition has proceeded," says John Secker.

"This is all about protecting New Zealand’s reputation as a safe trading partner. Getting accurate information earlier will enable us to protect New Zealand’s borders and eliminate delays while we screen ‘at risk’ goods.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>