Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Birth Registrations Increase

Birth Registrations Increase

There were 56,870 live births registered in New Zealand in the March 2004 year, Statistics New Zealand reported today. This is 4.1 percent more than in the March 2003 year (54,660) and the highest number since the March 2000 year (57,930).

Annual birth rates for the March 2004 year suggest that New Zealand women average 1.98 births per woman. This is below the level required for the population to replace itself without migration (2.10 births per woman). However, our fertility rate is at least 15 percent higher than the fertility rate for Canada, Sweden (both 1.6 births per woman), England and Wales, and Australia (both 1.7 births per woman).

The trend towards delayed motherhood is continuing. On average, New Zealand women are now having children five years later than their counterparts in the early 1970s. The median age (half are older than this age, and half younger) of New Zealand women giving birth is now 30.3 years, compared with 28.4 years in 1994, and 24.9 years in the early 1970s.

In the March 2004 year, women aged 30–34 years had the highest fertility rate (117 births per 1,000 women) followed closely by those aged 25–29 years (110 births per 1,000 women).

This represents a significant departure from the early 1970s when early marriage and early childbearing were the norm. At this time, the age group 20–24 years was the commonest age for childbearing, with a fertility rate of over 200 per 1,000. This compares with only 69 per 1,000 in the March 2004 year. Similarly, the current fertility rate for women under 20 years (27 per 1,000) is roughly one-third of the level in 1972 (69 per 1,000).

Deaths registered in the March 2004 year totalled 28,200 compared with 27,800 in the March 2003 year, an increase of 1.4 percent. The complete life tables for the New Zealand population for 2000–2002 indicate that a newborn girl can expect to live, on average, 81.1 years, and a newborn boy 76.3 years. These represent gains of 1.4 years for females and 1.9 years for males since 1995–1997.

The natural increase of population (the excess of births over deaths) was 28,680 in the March 2004 year, up 6.8 percent on the year ended March 2003. Over the same period, the rate of natural increase rose from 6.8 per 1,000 to 7.1 per 1,000. Natural increase accounted for 51 percent of the population growth during the March 2004 year, and net migration the remaining 49 percent.

Ian Ewing

Acting Government Statistician

END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Half A Billion Accounts: Yahoo Confirms Huge Data Breach

The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. More>>

Rural Branches: Westpac To Close 19 Branches, ANZ Looks At 7

Westpac confirms it will close nineteen branches across the country; ANZ closes its Ngaruawahia branch and is consulting on plans to close six more branches; The bank workers union says many of its members are nervous about their futures and asking ... More>>

Interest Rates: RBNZ's Wheeler Keeps OCR At 2%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2 percent and said more easing will be needed to get inflation back within the target band. More>>

ALSO:

Half Full: Fonterra Raises Forecast Payout As Global Supply Shrinks

Fonterra Cooperative Group, the dairy processor which will announce annual earnings tomorrow, hiked its forecast payout to farmers by 50 cents per kilogram of milk solids as global supply continues to decline, helping prop up dairy prices. More>>

ALSO:

Results:

Meat Trade: Silver Fern Farms Gets Green Light For Shanghai Maling Deal

The government has given the green light for China's Shanghai Maling Aquarius to acquire half of Silver Fern Farms, New Zealand's biggest meat company, with ministers satisfied it will deliver "substantial and identifiable benefit". More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news