Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Tenon independent directors’ Company Statement

Rubicon Forests to rely on Tenon independent directors’ Company Statement

21 May 2004 - Rubicon Forests Limited (“Rubicon”) said today that it was disappointed that the Takeovers Panel had chosen to take a narrow view of the meaning of rule 38 of the Code, in the Panel’s decision issued this afternoon (rule 38 addresses “defensive tactics” in a takeover situation). The Panel said in its decision that it “does not see the proper application of rule 38 as being influenced by how relatively important any requested information might be to an offeror, or by how relatively innocuous it would be for the target company to comply. The rule simply does not create an obligation to provide such information.”


Rubicon said that it was a little surprised at this outcome, and that it “would now be relying on the Tenon Company Statement and the Grant Samuel Independent Report which were both silent (apart from noting the terms of Tenon’s banking facility) on the issue raised by Rubicon – i.e. whether Tenon had any material assets or interests which could be adversely affected if Rubicon were to move to 50.01% of Tenon. If there was anything material there on this issue, we would have expected it to have been disclosed – nothing has been disclosed. We can only assume that because there has been no such disclosure there is actually nothing to disclose. We still can’t understand why the independent directors don’t just say that.”

The Tenon independent directors’ Company Statement was not released until Tuesday 18 May, almost a week after Rubicon laid its complaint.

END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>