Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Holden Statement - Mitsubishi Australia

Friday, May 21, 2004

Holden Statement - Mitsubishi Australia

Today is a difficult day [the announcement of the closure of the company’s V6 engine assembly plant] for the Mitsubishi workforce in Adelaide but they have done well to prevent further cuts.

All four local manufacturers benefit from the largest possible production output in Australia. We all want to see a viable Australian automotive and supplier industry.

Tom Phillips [President, Mitsubishi Motor Corporation, Australia] has done well in difficult circumstances advancing Mitsubishi’s interests in Australia. It is clear he is in touch with everyone in the company and is a superb contributor to the broader industry.

Equally, the Federal and State governments should be applauded for their active role in trying to keep all Mitsubishi operations in Australia. They have been strong supporters of our industry through strategic policy settings and encouraging of our export programmes.

Questions have been asked regarding Holden’s interest in Mitsubishi people. Holden has hired 1500 new employees in the past 18 months, including more than 1000 in South Australia, so we have no immediate hiring plans.

We also recognise that Mitsubishi’s engine operations would have many talented people and will certainly take that into account when future needs arise.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>