Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Load limit increased for upper South Island region

25 June 2004

Load limit increased for upper South Island region

National grid owner and operator Transpower says the commissioning of four inter-trip schemes over the next few days will allow the peak demand load limit for the upper South Island to be increased by 25 MW to 1055 MW.

This will significantly reduce the risk of forced power outages this winter.

The inter-trip schemes are being commissioned with the support and co-operation of lines companies in the region. The first was commissioned this morning (Friday) and raised the load limit by 10 MW.

The schemes provide identified blocks of load, which could be switched off automatically if a voltage stability problem occurred on the electricity grid.

This back-up protection allows more electricity to be sent through the grid, increasing the load limit for the upper South Island to 1055 MW, from the previous maximum of 1030 MW.

The peak demand so far this winter has been 968 MW, recorded on the 9th June.

Transpower’s General Manager System Operations Kieran Devine says electricity supply into the upper South Island continues to be actively managed.

“Since early April when we first called the industry together, it has been our firm belief that security of supply into the region could be maintained with the active co-operation of all parties.

“These new schemes, which provide automatic under voltage load shedding, are an innovative solution, and are attracting interest from our counterparts overseas.

“Added to the other measures already taken, the risk of power shortages in the upper South Island this winter has been greatly reduced,” Kieran Devine said.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Voluntary Administration: Renaissance Brewing Up For Sale

Renaissance Brewing, the first local company to raise capital through equity crowdfunding, is up for sale after cash flow woes and product management issues led to the appointment of voluntary administrators. More>>

Elsewhere:

Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:

Media Mega Merger: Full Steam Ahead For Appeal

New Zealand's two largest news publishers have confirmed they are committed to pursuing their appeal against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>