Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Births Bounce Back


Births Bounce Back

There were 57,890 live births registered in New Zealand in the year to 30 June 2004, Statistics New Zealand reported today. This is 5.4 percent more than in the year to June 2003 (54,940) and returns the number of live births registered to just under the number recorded in the June 2000 year (58,030).

Annual birth rates for the June 2004 year suggest that New Zealand women average 2.01 births per woman. This is below the level required for any population to replace itself without migration (2.10 births per woman). However, our fertility rate is higher than that for Canada, Sweden (both 1.6 births per woman), England and Wales, and Australia (both 1.7 births per woman). The trend towards delayed motherhood is continuing. On average, New Zealand women now have children five years later than their counterparts in the early 1970s. The median age (half are older than this age, and half younger) of New Zealand women giving birth is now 30.2 years, compared with 28.4 years in 1994, and 24.9 years in the early 1970s.

In the June 2004 year, women aged 30–34 years had the highest fertility rate (118 births per 1,000 women), followed closely by those aged 25–29 years (112 per 1,000). This is a significant departure from the early 1970s when early marriage and early childbearing were the norm. At that time, the 20–24 year age group was the most common for childbearing, with a fertility rate of over 200 births per 1,000 women. This compares with only 71 per 1,000 in the June 2004 year. Similarly, the current fertility rate for women under 20 years (27 per 1,000) is roughly one-third of the rate in 1972 (69 per 1,000).

Deaths registered in the June 2004 year totalled 28,140, compared with 27,760 in the June 2003 year. The abridged life table for the New Zealand population for 2001–2003 indicates that a newborn girl can expect to live, on average, 81.2 years, and a newborn boy 76.7 years. These represent gains of 1.5 years for females and 2.3 years for males since 1995–1997. The natural increase of population (the excess of births over deaths) was 29,750 in the June 2004 year, up 2,570 (9.5 percent) on the year ended June 2003 (27,180). Over the same period, the rate of natural increase rose from 6.8 per 1,000 to 7.4 per 1,000. Natural increase accounted for 58 percent of the population growth during the June 2004 year, and net migration the remaining 42 percent.

Brian Pink

Government Statistician

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Onetai Station: Overseas Investment Office Puts Ceol & Muir On Notice

The Overseas Investment Office (OIO) has issued a formal warning to Ceol & Muir and its owners, Argentinian brothers Rafael and Federico Grozovsky, for failing to provide complete and accurate information when they applied to buy Onetai Station in 2013. More>>

ALSO:

Tomorrow, The UN: Feds President Takes Reins At World Farming Body

Federated Farmers president Dr William Rolleston has been appointed acting president of the World Farmers’ Organisation (WFO) at a meeting in Geneva overnight. More>>

ALSO:

I Sing The Highway Electric: Charge Net NZ To Connect New Zealand

BMW is turning Middle Earth electric after today announcing a substantial contribution to the charging network Charge Net NZ. This landmark partnership will enable Kiwis to drive their electric vehicles (EVs) right across New Zealand through the installation of a fast charging highway stretching from Kaitaia to Invercargill. More>>

ALSO:

Watch This Space: Mahia Rocket Lab Launch Site Officially Opened

Economic Development Minster Steven Joyce today opened New Zealand’s first orbital launch site, Rocket Lab Launch Complex 1, on the Mahia Peninsula on the North Island’s east coast. More>>

Earlier:

Marketing Rocks!
Ig Nobel Award Winners Assess The Personality Of Rocks

A Massey University marketing lecturer has received the 2016 Ig Nobel Prize for economics for a research project that asked university students to describe the “brand personalities” of three rocks. More>>

ALSO:

Nurofen Promotion: Reckitt Benckiser To Plead Guilty To Misleading Ads

Reckitt Benckiser (New Zealand) intends to plead guilty to charges of misleading consumers over the way it promoted a range of Nurofen products, the Commerce Commission says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news