Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Fisheries Ministry To Cut Front Line Officers

Saturday 11 September 2004
MEDIA RELEASE

Fisheries Ministry To Cut Front Line Officers

“The Ministry of Fisheries has responded to the threats to front line Fishery Officers from increasing black market poaching and threats of violence with a proposal to cut the number of Fishery Officers in the regions,” said Martin Cooney, organiser with the National Union of Public Employees (NUPE) today.

“From October 2004 the Ministry intends to reduce front line enforcement across many of the outlying areas of the country. In the North Island, Fishery Officers will be removed from Whangarei (2), Tauranga (3), Gisborne (1), Napier (2), New Plymouth (1). Most Offices will also lose a front line Investigator. This represents about a third of the personnel in these sites. In the South Island, Invercargill also loses a Fishery Officer and frontline Investigator and Christchurch and Dunedin lose frontline Investigators.”

“The regional staff cuts are supposedly to be used to create ‘Central Investigation Hubs’ in Auckland, Wellington and Nelson. However, Officers believe this will do little to protect the resources on a local basis and is merely rearranging the deckchairs on a sinking ship. Investigators need to be on the ground in the regions to detect the poachers - not based 500 kilometers away.”

“The ability of ‘blue shirt’ Fishery Officers to patrol the beaches and protect the fisheries resource will obviously be greatly reduced by this move. There is a need for doubling the number of front line Fishery Officers, not reducing them in this way. They also need to be urgently provided with defensive equipment.”

“The Minister of Fisheries needs to equip Officers with OC spray and ASP batons and put this proposal on hold,” said Martin Cooney.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>