Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Increase in Non-residential Building Consents

Strong Increase in Non-residential Building Consents Issued

The total value of consents issued for non-residential buildings was $366 million in September 2004, up $108 million (42 percent) compared with September 2003, according to Statistics New Zealand. The trend for the value of non-residential buildings has increased in most months since January 2003, with continuous growth since December 2003. In September 2004, the trend level was 36 percent higher than in December 2003.

Consents issued for shops, restaurants and taverns contributed 21 percent to the non-residential buildings total in September 2004, followed by consents for offices and administration buildings (15 percent), and for factories and industrial buildings (13 percent).

Consents for 2,291 new dwelling units were issued in September 2004, down 712 units (24 percent) compared with September 2003. The trend for the number of new dwelling units has been declining since January 2004. For the year ended September 2004, consents for 31,464 new dwelling units were issued, up 1,325 (4 percent) from the year ended September 2003. This total is the largest recorded for a September year since 1974.

Eight out of 16 regions recorded more new dwelling units in September 2004 than in September 2003. Wellington (up 29 units) recorded the largest increase when comparing the two September months, while Auckland (down 633 units) recorded the largest decrease. The Auckland region contributed 718 units (31 percent) to the total number of new dwelling units in September 2004. Over the last 12 months, Auckland's contribution has normally ranged between 31 and 41 percent.

The total value of consents issued for all buildings was $936 million in September 2004, up $78 million (9 percent) compared with September 2003. Residential buildings contributed 61 percent to the total value of all buildings in September 2004, compared with 70 percent in September 2003.

Brian Pink
Government Statistician
END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

I Sing The Highway Electric: Charge Net NZ To Connect New Zealand

BMW is turning Middle Earth electric after today announcing a substantial contribution to the charging network Charge Net NZ. This landmark partnership will enable Kiwis to drive their electric vehicles (EVs) right across New Zealand through the installation of a fast charging highway stretching from Kaitaia to Invercargill. More>>

ALSO:

Watch This Space: Mahia Rocket Lab Launch Site Officially Opened

Economic Development Minster Steven Joyce today opened New Zealand’s first orbital launch site, Rocket Lab Launch Complex 1, on the Mahia Peninsula on the North Island’s east coast. More>>

Earlier:

Marketing Rocks!
Ig Nobel Award Winners Assess The Personality Of Rocks

A Massey University marketing lecturer has received the 2016 Ig Nobel Prize for economics for a research project that asked university students to describe the “brand personalities” of three rocks. More>>

ALSO:

Nurofen Promotion: Reckitt Benckiser To Plead Guilty To Misleading Ads

Reckitt Benckiser (New Zealand) intends to plead guilty to charges of misleading consumers over the way it promoted a range of Nurofen products, the Commerce Commission says. More>>

ALSO:

Half A Billion Accounts, Including Xtra: Yahoo Confirms Huge Data Breach

The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers. More>>

ALSO:

Rural Branches: Westpac To Close 19 Branches, ANZ Looks At 7

Westpac confirms it will close nineteen branches across the country; ANZ closes its Ngaruawahia branch and is consulting on plans to close six more branches; The bank workers union says many of its members are nervous about their futures and asking ... More>>

Interest Rates: RBNZ's Wheeler Keeps OCR At 2%

Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler kept the official cash rate at 2 percent and said more easing will be needed to get inflation back within the target band. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news