Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Auckland Airport Way Off Beam

Friday 26th November 2004

Auckland Airport Way Off Beam

Waitakere City Council’s Chief Executive, Harry O’Rourke, is surprised by Auckland International Airport’s comments reported in the New Zealand Herald on Thursday, 25th November.

Auckland Airport’s Chief Executive, Don Huse, believes that Waitakere City is trying to stymie plans for the second runway by lodging submissions under the Resource Consent process. Auckland Airport along with major client Air New Zealand has strongly opposed Waitakere City’s proposals for a second airport at Whenuapai.

However Mr O’Rourke said that has nothing to do with Mangere’s Resource Consent process. “Our submission is clearly in support of a second runway. We support economic development and the provision of major infrastructure,” he says. “What we have done though is raise concerns about environmental effects on the Manukau Harbour and potential major commercial development, which does not fit with Auckland’s Regional Growth Strategy.”

“We haven’t in the past raised any issues about Auckland Airport’s anti-competitive campaign against Whenuapai, but when we ask a few simple questions about their development plans, they squeal like babies.”

Mr O’Rourke adds that Mangere airport is already a significant contributor to the region’s multi billion dollar transport problems. “I am sure every commuter in Auckland wants to know that those problems won’t be made worse by more people flowing south to Mangere”.

Mr O’Rourke also notes that at its annual meeting in Auckland this week, even AIAL’s own shareholders questioned the campaign against Whenuapai, which has so far cost the company more than $2 million. “The reason Auckland Airport is so vehemently against Whenuapai is they fear it will succeed. Isn’t that a convincing reason that Whenuapai should go ahead in the Region’s interests?”

“Once again, we are not against the second runway proposal, but AIAL shouldn’t think that they can waltz through the Resource Consent process without some very valid questions being asked.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>