Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Revised rules: land transport of dangerous goods

Updated requirements for the carriage of dangerous goods on land in New Zealand will come into force next month.

The new requirements are contained in the Land Transport Rule: Dangerous Goods 2005, signed this week by Minister for Transport Safety Harry Duynhoven. The new rule revises and updates previous requirements introduced in 1999, in order to ensure that New Zealand remains in line with international standards for the carriage of dangerous goods. The rule comes into force on June 27.

In New Zealand, dangerous goods are classified for transport in accordance with the United Nations Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods - Model Regulations (UNRTDG). The current revisions to New Zealand's rules are being made in order to reflect changes made in the UN regulations, which are also the basis for international maritime and aviation codes for the transport of dangerous goods.

Changes in the rule will also ensure that transport requirements for dangerous goods are compatible with New Zealand’s Hazardous Substances and New Organisms (HSNO) Act 1996.

Specific changes in the rule include updates to the labelling and marking of some containers, new package sizes for dangerous goods in limited quantities, new requirements for the segregation of incompatible dangerous goods, and a requirement for the name and address of consignees to be included on dangerous goods declaration forms.

Detailed information on the Dangerous Goods Rule 2005 is available on the Land Transport NZ website, at http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/rules/dangerous-goods-2005.html

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>