Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

July start for White Hill windfarm

Thursday 26 May 2005

July start for White Hill windfarm

Construction is scheduled to begin in July on New Zealand’s next large-scale wind farm development at White Hill in Southland.

State-owned electricity generator and retailer Meridian Energy says if all goes according to plan ­ subject to the weather - the wind farm will produce its first power in April or May next year and be fully commissioned in the third quarter of 2006.

Chief Executive Keith Turner says the farm will consist of 29 two-megawatt turbines ­ which will produce enough electricity to supply about 30,000 average households ­ or nearly every household in the Southland District and Invercargill City area.

“We have selected Vestas V80 turbines, and 29 of these will give the project a total capacity of about 60 megawatts.

“Each of these turbines stands on a 67-metre tower with a rotor diameter of 80 metres.”

This compares with the 1.65MW turbines at Meridian’s Te Apiti wind farm north of the Manawatu Gorge; which, with a rotor diameter of 70 metres on towers of 70 metres are currently the largest operating in New Zealand.

Dr Turner says the turbines will be delivered to the port of Bluff and transported to the White Hill site commencing in January of next year.

Tenders for construction and related work will go out over the next few weeks and Meridian is confident of having significant local contractor involvement in development of the site.

“Our wind monitoring on the White Hill site has shown us that there is a very good resource here, and it has the potential to make a major contribution to security of electricity supply in this part of the country,” Dr Turner says.

Consent was granted last year for a development of up to 70MW and was not appealed.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>