Green tea export ice cream one of many winners
For immediate release: 18 July 2005
Green tea export ice cream one of many winners for Emerald Foods
Emerald Foods has for the second consecutive year won both ice cream export product awards at the New Zealand Ice Cream Manufacturers’ Association awards. The Emerald Foods produced Monte Bianco Green Tea and New Zealand Natural Cookies and Cream both won gold and best product in their respective export categories.
Emerald Foods chief operating officer Tony Wai said the Monte Bianco Green Tea ice cream is produced exclusively for export to Japan. Emerald Foods has been supplying the product to the 114-store Monte Bianco confectionary chain for eight years. It is a super-premium product with the green tea leaves additive costing around $100 per kilogram.
“The green tea product is a very high quality one with only the finest spring-pick green tea leaves from Japan used. Although the taste would be unusual to most New Zealanders, it is extremely popular in Japan,” said Mr Wai.
Mr Wai said that winning both export categories again had reinforced the company’s position as New Zealand’s premium ice cream manufacturer. And another export product, New Zealand Natural Mango Sorbet, was judged best in the gelato and sorbet category. The company received a total of 35 awards including seven gold and 28 silver medals.
“It is extremely pleasing that the innovation and expertise we’ve demonstrated to become New Zealand’s premium domestic ice cream producer has been recognised in these export products,” said Mr Wai.
Last year Emerald Foods’ parent company, the Emerald Group, purchased a controlling interest in New Zealand Natural. The winning New Zealand Natural Cookies and Cream and Mango Sorbet products are sold in United States, Australia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hong Kong and Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Korea. New Zealand Natural products won 12 out of the 35 awards won by Emerald Foods.
“The New Zealand Natural brand is internationally recognised as a world-class, premium ice cream and represents the very best of New Zealand - I’m delighted that it is Emerald Foods that is producing this product,” said Mr Wai.
Emerald Foods produces over 300 ice cream flavours. Its brands include Mövenpick, Killinchy Gold, Heavenly Treats, Chateau Premium and Lite Licks. It produces ice cream under contract to New Zealand Natural, Wendy’s and various other customers both domestically and internationally.
Emerald Foods 2005 Ice Cream awards winners by category:
- Chateau Vanilla – Silver
Chocolate ice cream
- Chateau Chocolate – Sliver
- Chateau Double Chocolate Raspberry Swirl – Sliver
Standard ice cream with additions
- Chateau Butterscotch Pecan - Silver
- Chateau Cookies and Cream - Sliver
- Chateau Rum ‘n’ Raisin - Silver
- Chateau Strawberry Ripple - Silver
Premium ice cream
- Heavenly Treats Passionfruit Sorbet - Gold
- Mövenpick Caramelita – Gold
- Mövenpick Vanilla Brownies - Gold
- Killinchy Gold Chocolate Fudge Brownie - Silver
- Killinchy Gold Strawberries and Cream - Silver
- Mövenpick Chocolate - Silver
- Mövenpick Macadamia Dulce – Silver
- New Zealand Natural Caffe Espresso - Silver
- New Zealand Natural Mint Choc Kisses - Silver
- New Zealand Natural Strawberry - Silver
- New Zealand Natural Toffee Caramel Cup – Sliver
- Wendy’s Supa Sundaes Temptation
- Wendy’s Supa Sundaes White Choc with Raspberry
inclusive of Export Packaging
- Monte Bianco Green Tea – Gold and Best
Export – exclusive of packaging
- New Zealand Natural Cookies and Cream – Gold and Best
- New Zealand Natural Strawberry - Silver
Gelato and Sorbet
- New Zealand Natural Mango Sorbet – Gold and Best
- New Zealand Natural Berry Fruit Sorbet - Gold
- Chateau Berry Berry Extraordinary Sorbet - Silver
- Killinchy Gold Pink Grapefruit Sorbet - Silver
- Mövenpick Lemon Lime Sorbet - Silver
- Mövenpick Passionfruit Mango Sorbet - Silver
- New Zealand Natural Apple Sorbet - Silver
- New Zealand Natural Passionfruit and Pineapple Sorbet – Silver
- Wendy’s Supa Sundaes Tropical Sensations Sorbet
- Wendy’s Supa Sundaes Very Berry Sorbet
- Chateau Strawberry Frozen Yoghurt - Silver
- New Zealand Natural Mango Passion Frozen Yoghurt - Silver
About Emerald Foods
Emerald Foods is an award-winning premium ice cream maker. Its brands include Mövenpick, Killinchy Gold, Heavenly Treats, Chateau Premium and Lite Licks. It produces ice cream under contract to New Zealand Natural, Wendy’s and various other customers both domestically and internationally.
The company employs over 100 people at various locations and exports to 20 countries around the world.
website is www.icecream.co.nz
New Zealand Natural’s website is www.newzealandnatural.com