Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Training policy a boost for workers

July 28, 2005

Training policy a boost for workers

Labour’s pledge to train 5000 more modern apprentices and to widen the scheme to older workers and to young people who are still in school is a major boost to working people and to the country, says the New Zealand’s largest union, the Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union.

“The Modern Apprenticeship scheme, advocated by the EPMU, has been one of the success stories of the Labour Government,” said assistant national secretary Rosalie Webster.

“We are delighted to see it being expanded to take more people, older people already in the workforce, and a transition programme for young people still at school.”

Ms Webster, who is on the board of the Industry Training Federation, said that there was clear evidence that up-skilling the New Zealand workforce was the key to the country’s future prosperity.

“New Zealand workers are talented and dedicated, but the virtual scrapping of industry training under National during the 1990s denied many the opportunity to learn the skills that will help them to improve their lives and will help their employers and the country to improve productivity and innovation,” she said.

“Today’s announcement by the Prime Minister that a Labour Government will boost industry training by another $30 million, will train an extra 5000 Modern Apprentices – including many who are older people already in the workforce – and will develop a transition programme to help young people from school into apprenticeships, is great news.”

Ms Webster said that the current Labour Government had already doubled the amount of money spent on industry training, and that the EPMU would continue to lobby for industry training.

“The fact that Labour has made it one of its pledge-card policies is a good sign that it understands the importance of this issue,” she said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>