Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

RNZ staff to walk off the job

July 29, 2005

RNZ staff to walk off the job

Some 180 Radio New Zealand employees will walk off the job this afternoon in protest at the state broadcaster’s refusal to agree to a five per cent pay rise.

The industrial stoppage will run from 4pm until 6pm and will involve members of the Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union and the Public Service Association.

EPMU assistant national secretary Rosalie Webster said that further action was likely.

“Radio New Zealand is refusing to lift its pay offer above three per cent, which isn’t good enough in this climate,” she said.

“Radio New Zealand has serious problems attracting and retaining staff, especially senior people. Turnover is high because people find that they can get jobs with more money and better hours elsewhere.

“Two years ago, we settled an agreement with a three per cent pay rise in the first year and a two per cent pay rise in the second year, and an explicit agreement that pay scales in Radio New Zealand would be addressed. This work has not been finished, and the workers are fast losing patience.”

Today’s action will involve journalists, producers, technicians, librarians and other staff.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Voluntary Administration: Renaissance Brewing Up For Sale

Renaissance Brewing, the first local company to raise capital through equity crowdfunding, is up for sale after cash flow woes and product management issues led to the appointment of voluntary administrators. More>>

Elsewhere:

Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:

Media Mega Merger: Full Steam Ahead For Appeal

New Zealand's two largest news publishers have confirmed they are committed to pursuing their appeal against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>