Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search


CanWest aks for clearance to acquire FM licences

Issued 05 August 2005-06/011

CanWest RadioWorks applies for clearance to acquire radio FM spectrum licences

The Commerce Commission has received an application from CanWest RadioWorks Limited seeking clearance to acquire new radio FM spectrum licences allocated by the Ministry of Economic Development.

RadioWorks is establishing a new network to provide broadcasting services to the Northland area. As a result of a rearrangement of radio spectrum in Northland, RadioWorks is seeking clearance to acquire six new licences:

- 90.00 MHz at Maungataniwha (Far North)

- 92.40 MHz at Parahaki (Whangarei)

- 91.60 MHZ and 94.00 MHz at Horokaka (Whangarei)

- 91.60 MHz and 94.00 MHz at Hikurangi (Mid North)

The acquisition would introduce two new stations: Radio Live in the Mid North and Far North, and The Rock in the Mid North, Far North and Whangarei.

RadioWorks is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CanWest MediaWorks (NZ) Limited which is 70% owned by Canadian media company CanWest Global Communications. The remaining 30% of MediaWorks shares are in public ownership following a float of the company on the New Zealand Stock Exchange in July 2004.

In considering the application, the Commission’s role is to determine whether the acquisition has the effect of substantially lessening competition in a market.

A public version of the application will shortly be available on the Commission’s website under Public Registers.


© Scoop Media

Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines


Voluntary Administration: Renaissance Brewing Up For Sale

Renaissance Brewing, the first local company to raise capital through equity crowdfunding, is up for sale after cash flow woes and product management issues led to the appointment of voluntary administrators. More>>


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>


Media Mega Merger: Full Steam Ahead For Appeal

New Zealand's two largest news publishers have confirmed they are committed to pursuing their appeal against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>


Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>