Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Five Day Hospital Strike To Start 29 August

Thursday 11 August 2005

Five Day Hospital Strike To Start 29 August

“NUPE delegates decided last night to formally issue a strike notice for a five day strike on behalf of about 600 health workers employed by the Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) for the week 29 August to 2 September,” said Nadine Marshall, Secretary of the National Union of Public Employees (NUPE).

Nadine Marshall said that NUPE members and the CDHB have been informed of the result of the meeting. “Delegates have decided to proceed because the Government did not provide funding for an acceptable offer by 10 August.”

“Members accept the need to give two weeks notice in the health sector so the Board can deal with life preserving services,” said Nadine Marshall. “The two weeks also gives a last opportunity for the Government to accept its responsibility to deal with low pay rates in the sector before disruption occurs.”

“Health workers have spent nine months petitioning Parliament, rallying outside Labour MPs offices, in negotiations trying to get the funding for a 30% catch-up for all health workers, and are yet to receive an offer,” said Nadine Marshall.

“Staff who will be striking include Clerical and Administration staff in health who deal with clinical records and waiting lists, Maintenance, Information Technology, Mortuary Technicians, Allied Health workers such as Occupational Therapists, Social Workers and Dental Therapists, and Mental Health Nurses,” said Nadine Marshall.

“Members of Parliament have been known to fix up their own remuneration issues in seven minutes – NUPE members trust they can attend to health workers’ remuneration in the next two weeks,” said Nadine Marshall.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>