Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Picket outside Dom-Post

August 29, 2005

Picket outside Dom-Post

The Dominion-Post building in downtown Wellington is being picketed by newspaper workers angry at their employer’s refusal to give them a five per cent pay rise.

More than 40 workers employed at five Fairfax New Zealand community newspapers walked off the job again today as their pay dispute spread.

Workers at the Hutt News, the Upper Hutt Leader, the Kapi-Mana News and the Kapiti Observer have already staged several days of strike action, and have today been joined by workers from the Wellingtonian (formerly Contact).

All five newspapers are owned by the Australian-based John Fairfax Holdings, which also owns the Dominion-Post, and has just named former All Black captain David Kirk as its new chief executive.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that the 3.2 per cent pay rise being offered to the workers was not good enough.

“Fairfax is a highly profitable company which can afford to pay these workers an extra five per cent,” he said.

“Five per cent is the going rate this year. It’s what most workers are getting, and these people deserve it too.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>