Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Engineering co dispute escalates

September 5, 2005

Media Release


Engineering co dispute escalates


A dispute at a major New Zealand engineering company is escalating, with the company locking out workers this morning.

One hundred and forty workers at the Southward Engineering plant at Seaview in Wellington are on strike in the wake of the lock-out, with workers at the Auckland plant due to hold a stop-work meeting at lunchtime.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that 13 workers at the Seaview plant were issued with notices of indefinite lock-out when they arrived at work at 8am. Other workers then walked off the job and are now picketing the plant.

Mr Little said that it appeared that the lock-outs were in retaliation for a load-out ban which had been operating at the plant for two-and-a-half weeks.

“Workers at this company are involved in a dispute with their employers over the failure to settle their collective agreement,” he said.

“There has been low-level action in place at the Seaview plant, in the form of workers refusing to load trucks. The company has now escalated the dispute by locking out some workers, but it should be aware that attempts to divide and conquer this workforce will fail.”

Mr Little said that workers at the Seaview plant would stand by the locked-out workers, and that workers at the Auckland plant would hold a stop-work meeting at 12.30pm to discuss what action they might take.

The workers are seeking a five per cent pay rise. The company has offered a 4.2 per cent rise, but wants to cut shift workers’ pay by $2 an hour.

The company was founded by Len Southward (owner of the Southward car museum) in 1938 and was bought by the Australian-based Atlas Group in 2004. It is New Zealand’s largest manufacturer of automotive exhaust systems.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>