Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Auckland workers join strike at Southward

September 5, 2005
Media Release

Auckland workers join strike at Southward

Workers at Southward Engineering’s Auckland plant have joined a strike by their Wellington colleagues.

One hundred and forty workers at the Seaview plant walked off the job this morning after the company issued lock-out notices to 13 workers.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that about 20 workers at the Auckland plant had met this afternoon and decided to join the strike in protest at the company’s heavy-handed actions.

Both sites are involved in a dispute with the company over the renewal of their collective employment agreement. They are seeking a five per cent pay rise. The company has offered a 4.2 per cent rise, but wants to cut shift workers’ pay by $2 an hour.

Mr Little said that the workers who were locked out had been involved in a load-out ban at the Seaview plant.

“They were refusing to load trucks as part of low-level industrial action at the plant, but were performing all other work,” he said.

The company was founded by Len Southward (owner of the Southward car museum) in 1938 and was bought by the Australian-based Atlas Group in 2004. It is New Zealand’s largest manufacturer of automotive exhaust systems.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>