Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

5 Day Hospital Strike Begins Monday

Saturday 10 September 2005

5 Day Hospital Strike Begins Monday

“NUPE negotiators have still not had an offer for all NUPE members from the Canterbury District Health Boards (CDHB) after ten months of negotiations and will continue with their five day strike set to take place from 7am 12th to 7am 17th September,” said Martin Cooney, organiser with the National Union of Public Employees (NUPE).

Martin Cooney said that the roughly 500 NUPE members had previously postponed the strike by two weeks to give the Government time to come up with funding for an acceptable offer in particular for support staff members.

“The Government has only provided funding of 1.7% for clerical and administration, maintenance, information services and cleaning staff in health,” said Martin Cooney. “Clinical staff (Mental Health Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Social Workers, Recreation Officers and Dental Therapists) have been told by the CDHB that the Government has approved extra funding but no offer has been put on the table.”

“Plainly the Government has acted shamefully in only offering 1.7% to all health support workers against the 30% catch-up given to some nurses and doctors,” said Martin Cooney.

“Mental health cleaners earn from $11 an hour in dangerous conditions; Clerical workers scales start just above the minimum wage of $9.50; Maintenance staff like electricians earn only $19 an hour - $8-10 an hour less than in the private sector; while Information Services do not even have a pay scale but most earn about 30% less than private sector rates.”

“NUPE delegates meet on Sunday at 4pm to organise activities during the strike to highlight their plight,” said Martin Cooney.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>