Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Queenstown airport workers set to strike

September 13, 2005


Media Release


Queenstown airport workers set to strike

Groundstaff at Queenstown airport are to strike after mediation today failed to settle their pay dispute.

Fifty-five baggage handlers and ticketing staff employed by Mt Cook Airlines will walk off the job just after midnight on Friday morning.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union advocate Ged O’Connell said that the workers were extremely disappointed that the dispute had not been settled.

“We have been negotiating with the company for some time,” he said.

“Two weeks ago we gave 14 days’ notice of industrial action, but yesterday we went into mediation with the company with the hope of settling this dispute without disrupting the public.

“At the end of the day yesterday, company negotiators told us that they would discuss matters amongst themselves overnight, with a view to offering us a new package in the morning. But this morning they told us that they would not be offering a new package.”

The workers are seeking a two-year collective agreement, with a five per cent pay rise this year and another five per cent next year. The company has offered them a three-year deal, with a 3.25 per cent rise this year, another 3.25 per cent rise next year, and a 3.5 per cent rise the following year.

Mr O’Connell said that the company’s offer was just not good enough.

“These people live in Queenstown, which everybody knows is one of the most expensive places in the country to live,” he said.

“They are struggling to make ends meet, and want a fair pay rise.”

Mt Cook is contracted by Air New Zealand to provide ground services at Queenstown airport. Airlines serviced include Air New Zealand, Qantas, Freedom and Mt Cook.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>