Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Strike hits CHH Whangarei plant

September 16, 2005

Strike hits CHH Whangarei plant

Workers at the Carter Holt Harvey LVL plant in Whangarei are on strike and demonstrating in the city as a national pay campaign intensifies.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that about 40 workers walked off the job for 12 hours from 7am today as part of rolling stoppages at the plant. Other workers were involved in strikes earlier in the week.

The EPMU, the National Distribution Union and the Amalgamated Workers’ Union have launched a national campaign for “five per cent-plus” wage rises at CHH plants, and have held two national days of action.

Mr Little said that workers at the Whangarei plant had been offered a two-year agreement with three per cent rises each year, and the loss of one week’s annual leave.

“This offer is totally unacceptable,” he said.

“Carter Holt Harvey needs to understand that five per cent is the going rate this year. So far, no CHH site has been offered a five per cent rise.”

Next week, CHH workers will hold one-hour stop-work meetings.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Voluntary Administration: Renaissance Brewing Up For Sale

Renaissance Brewing, the first local company to raise capital through equity crowdfunding, is up for sale after cash flow woes and product management issues led to the appointment of voluntary administrators. More>>

Elsewhere:

Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:

Media Mega Merger: Full Steam Ahead For Appeal

New Zealand's two largest news publishers have confirmed they are committed to pursuing their appeal against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>