Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

CHH agrees to return to talks

October 7, 2005

Media Release

CHH agrees to return to talks

Hokoi reaches company head office

Negotiations in the Carter Holt Harvey laminated veneer plant dispute could resume as early as Monday.

A hikoi of about 100 striking workers from the Whangarei plant has just arrived outside the Carter Holt Harvey head office in Manukau, Auckland, where they were met by the news that the company has agreed to return to the negotiating table.

Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that the workers were delighted by the news.

“This morning the company has confirmed to us, in writing, that it will return to the negotiations,” he said.

“It is a pity that it has taken so much time and energy to get the company to agree to resume talks, and we look forward to progress being made.”

About 200 workers from the plant, at Marsden Pt, have been on strike for two weeks. Mr Little paid tribute to the patience and solidarity shown by the workers on the hikoi and the 100 back on the picket line.

“These workers understand that in order to make any gains they need to stick together,” he said.

“They are showing great determination and dignity, and are an inspiration to all working people.”

The workers are seeking a five per cent pay rise and shift and meal allowances. They have been offered a three per cent rise.

The dispute is part of a nationwide five-plus campaign at Carter Holt Harvey plants, involving the EPMU, the National Distribution Union and the Amalgamated Workers’ Union.

Mr Little said that the workers on the hikoi had been overwhelmed by the support they had received on their way south from Whangarei to Auckland. The group stayed overnight at the Orakei marae.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>