Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

South Island generators must pay for HVDC upgrade

Media statement Friday, October 7th, 2005

South Island generators must pay for HVDC upgrade

The full $520 million cost of Transpower’s proposed upgrade of the High Voltage Direct Current Link must be paid by the power generators benefiting from it, the Employers & Manufacturers Association (Northern) says.

“The cost of the upgrade should be met by South Island generator companies, not North Island consumers” said Bruce Goldsworthy, EMA’s Manager of Advocacy.

“If the cost is spread across power transmission nationwide, the South Island generators in effect would become subsidized and able to reap super profits.

“The reasons for allocating all the HVDC link costs to South Island generators are:

- The HVDC Link exists to allow South Island generators to access the North Island market. If they could not do this their revenue stream would be unsustainable.

- Market mechanisms need to ensure costs lie where they fall in all cases.

- If the cost of environmental effects are included, such as the carbon tax proposed for thermal generation, then the same should apply to renewable generation when additional costs are incurred in the transmission system.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>