Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

APN ordered to pay for bungled redundancy

APN ordered to pay for bungled redundancy

Newspaper publisher Australian Provincial Newspapers has been ordered to pay compensation in the wake of a bungled redundancy.

The Employment Relations Authority has ruled that the company unjustifiably disadvantaged a printer at its Hawke’s Bay plant, and breached his contract, when it went back on its word to make him redundant.

The Authority said that it was clear that the company had told printer Ian Rouse and his colleagues that Mr Rouse’s application for voluntary redundancy would be accepted as part of changes to shift patterns. It then, however, changed its mind when another worker agreed to change shifts, which would have left the day shift one person short when Mr Rouse left.

The Authority said that Mr Rouse’s voluntary redundancy was part of a broad package of initiatives the company offered to get Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union members to agree to the changed shifts.

“This was a specific arrangement which was part of the wider deal put forward by APN and ratified later by the union’s members,” the Authority said.

“It is not now open to APN to resile from that agreement.”

The Authority ruled that Mr Rouse should have been made redundant on March 2 this year, and ordered the company to make up his final pay, including redundancy compensation. It also ordered the company to pay Mr Rouse $5000 compensation for the stress it had caused him.

EPMU lawyer Jills Angus-Burney said that Mr Rouse had been told before last Christmas that he would be made redundant early this year, and the company’s sudden change of mind had caused him extreme distress.

“He has been off work unwell, and unable to get on with his life,” she said.

“The company has even refused to pay out his superannuation.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>