Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Ministry Says Work-Test Sole Parents

Ministry Says Work-Test Sole Parents

November 11, 2005

The Ministry of Social Development's briefing to the incoming Minister, David Benson-Pope has suggested a return to part-time work-testing for sole parents.

Petitioner for a Parliamentary review of the DPB, Lindsay Mitchell said, "Part-time work-testing for sole parents was removed by the Labour/United Future government in 2002. The legislation was vigorously opposed by ACT and National as it effectively meant a person could stay on the DPB until their youngest child was 18."

"Now the Ministry is suggesting a reversal of this policy but with a strengthening proviso that the work-test applies to the youngest child 'at entry onto benefit'. This would prevent beneficiaries adding children to their benefit to avoid working."

"Another option suggested is work-testing sole parents 'after a set period on benefit'."

"While they have avoided using the term time-limiting this recommendation is similar to ACT's policy."

"This morning Michael Cullen said that Treasury's tax-cut advice most closely resembled ACT party policy. Now it seems that both Treasury and the Ministry of Social Development have sympathies with the policies of the ACT party. What a shame we weren't privy to these prior to the election."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Voluntary Administration: Renaissance Brewing Up For Sale

Renaissance Brewing, the first local company to raise capital through equity crowdfunding, is up for sale after cash flow woes and product management issues led to the appointment of voluntary administrators. More>>

Elsewhere:

Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:

Media Mega Merger: Full Steam Ahead For Appeal

New Zealand's two largest news publishers have confirmed they are committed to pursuing their appeal against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>