Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Second Big Lottery Win Within A Year

13 January 2005

Second Big Lottery Win Within A Year For Lucky Hawera Man

A Hawera man couldn't believe his luck when he won the Big Wednesday Second Chance Draw within the same year as winning over $140,000 on Lotto Strike, says NZ Lotteries Chief Executive Trevor Hall.

The winner, who wishes to remain anonymous, won a Lotto Strike Four prize of $141,115 in April 2005. Yesterday, he added another $25,000 to his prize money by claiming the Big Wednesday serial number draw.

"I'm not sure why, but I'm more excited about winning this one, than I was when I won Strike last year," the winner said.

Having used his earlier winnings for more practical purposes, the world is the winner's oyster with this money: "At the moment I think I'll just sit on it till I make up my mind," he said.

The winner, who is a regular player, bought and claimed his ticket at @ Your Office & Lotto.

"I wouldn't go anywhere else, the shop is really good and the people are lovely," he said of his lucky Lotto outlet.

@ Your Office & Lotto, Lotto Owner Kim Cameron was very excited about selling the winning ticket.

"I reckon it's really great, who would have thought, little old Hawera. We are also very happy to see the win go to such a great guy," she said.

This is the second time in a month that the Big Wednesday serial number draw has been claimed by a former winner.

In December a Rotorua couple, who won a Lotto First Division prize of $1,007,455 in March 2005, topped off their year by winning the Big Wednesday serial number draw, and adding another $25,000 to their prize money.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>