Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Not the time for two huge fireworks displays

Not the time for two huge fireworks displays

“The Auckland Harbour Festival was a wonderful celebration of civic pride and Auckland’s maritime history, but having two major fireworks displays in the central city within 72 hours is a two finger to the salute to the already squeezed and increasingly worried ratepayers,” said Cameron Brewer head of the Newmarket Business Association tonight.

“On Sunday night, the city council blew tens of thousands of dollars of fireworks in ‘one of the biggest ever staged in Auckland City’. On Wednesday night SkyCity will be putting on another huge public fireworks display to celebrate its 10th birthday. Both are worthy events, but the Auckland City Council should have partnered with the casino and combined to have one fireworks extravaganza this week.

“Two huge fireworks displays within 72 hours and hundreds of metres of each other will anger my 1500 members who are steering down the barrel of another round of steep rate increases. We have the Prime Minister predicting a slide to 1.7% economic growth, Dr Cullen talking of thousands of job losses, and Mr Hubbard now wanting to toll existing roads because the city supposedly hasn’t got enough cash to complete its motorway network.

“This is not the time to be doubling up on extravagant fireworks displays. The business community will remember this in the coming months when we’re having to swallow another round of stinging commercial and residential rate increases,” said Cameron Brewer.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>