Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Locked-out lines workers discussing options

Locked-out lines workers discussing options

Press release by Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union, February 4, 2006

Fifty-eight lines workers in northern-most New Zealand have been locked out by their employer. Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little said that Top Energy locked the workers out at midnight last night, and they had no idea when they would be able to return to work.

"We are extremely disappointed that the company has gone ahead with this action, which threatens the electricity supply to homes and businesses north of Kawakawa," he said.

"We've made enormous efforts to settle the dispute, including taking part in mediation and agreeing to a programme of modernising the collective agreement, but the company seems determined to push ahead with its agenda to cut pay and conditions."

Mr Little said that while Top Energy had failed to give the union a full list of claims, it was understood that clawbacks the company wanted to impose included a standard 45-hour week with no overtime pay instead of the current 40 hour-week, and to cut the lunch hour back to half an hour.

"This is a highly-skilled industry with a chronic labour shortage," Mr Little said.

"Hundreds of New Zealand lines workers have already been lured by countries offering much better pay and conditions, and it's this sort of action by Top Energy that will send more of them lost overseas."

Top Energy is a community-owned trust. The locked out workers are meeting today to discuss their situation and possible actions.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>