Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Forest industry breaks off government talks

17 February 2006
Joint Forest Industry Media Release

FEDERATION OF MAORI AUTHORITIES
NZ FARM FORESTRY ASSOCIATION
NZ FOREST OWNERS ASSOCIATION
NZ KYOTO FORESTRY ASSOCIATION


Forest industry breaks off government talks

Relations between government officials and forest owners have broken down, New Zealand Forest Owners Association (NZFOA) president Peter Berg said today.

Mr Berg was speaking on behalf of the NZFOA, Kyoto Forestry Association, NZ Farm Forestry Association and the Federation of Maori Authorities, after industry representatives walked out of a meeting with officials on Wednesday.

Forestry is New Zealand’s fourth largest export industry, generating more than $3 billion in export receipts and employing more than 20,000 people.

“Last July, we were invited by government to enter a dialogue with them to develop ways to maximise the industry’s contribution to tackling climate change and to address New Zealand’s deforestation crisis. We agreed to do so in good faith,” Mr Berg said.

“By inviting us to participate, the government was acknowledging that its forestry and climate policies were on the wrong track.

“Indeed, the inequities relating to forestry were highlighted in an official review and acknowledged by the minister of forestry, Jim Anderton, in December.”

Mr Berg said major industry players had contributed their time and expertise to the development of credible market-based policy alternatives.

“In good faith we developed an agreed industry position which involved an element of compromise among industry players. The NZ Treasury broadly agreed with such a market-based approach which would deliver the government’s climate change and forestry goals.

“However in a long-awaited meeting on Wednesday, we were simply brushed off by MAF officials. They were unwilling to discuss any specific policy options and – unbelievably – claimed that ‘doing nothing’ remains an option they would be presenting to government.

“We were therefore left with no choice but to walk out of the meeting and to make today’s announcement that we are severing contact with government officials over this issue.”

Mr Berg said the inappropriateness of government policy has been confirmed in recent days with the release of MAF data showing that New Zealand’s total plantation forest cover has actually fallen for the first time in more than a century.

“Industry associations will now be asking their members to continue the nationwide ban on government climate change officials entering privately owned forests for carbon monitoring purposes and to extend it indefinitely,” he said.

“The ban which was announced in June last year, has almost total support from individual forest owners throughout New Zealand. It prevents the government from collecting the data it needs to impose new taxes on the industry.

“It is very disappointing that events have taken this turn. However, no engagement with officials can be considered until the government publicly commits itself to working constructively with the industry.

“Forest owners know the forest industry better than anyone, have significant property rights at stake and are directly affected by inept Kyoto policymaking. With appropriate policies, forest owners can help New Zealand meet its greenhouse gas emission targets, saving taxpayers many hundreds of millions of dollars.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>