Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

McJobs? Not for Wellington businesses

Monday February 27 2006

McJobs? Not for Wellington businesses

27th February 2006

Today’s Dominion Post survey showing most of the Wellington business community has no problem with a $12 minimum wage and an end to youth rates highlights how miserable McDonalds latest pay offer is.

SuperSizeMyPay.com campaign coordinator Simon Oosterman says the survey shows just how out of touch McDonalds is: “our demands for a $12 minimum wage now, an end to youth rates, and secure hours don’t seem to trouble other businesses so why does McDonalds have a problem?”

“Even as their business peers are saying they’re comfortable with decent minimum wages the fast food multinational are still looking to keep their workers in poverty: it really shows this industry is at the sharp edge of corporate greed” says Oosterman.

Currently the multi-billion dollar company is offering rates less than previous offers, has threatened to sue its own workers, and is threatening to offer non-union members a better deal. Oosterman say these actions will be met with an escalating campaign.

McDonalds’ behaviour is cheap, insulting, and aggressively anti-worker” says Oosterman “kiwi workers deserve better than this, and from the results of this survey it seems most kiwi businesses realise that. When is McDonalds going to wake up to it?”

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>