Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Arnold Hydro Resource Consent Application

Friday 31 March, 2006

Arnold Hydro Resource Consent Application

March 31 2006 represents a milestone for the West Coast and electricity generator and retailer Trustpower, as TrustPower files an application for resource consent for its proposed Arnold Hydro scheme with the West Coast Regional Council.

The scheme, which with a capacity of up to 46MW and an annual output of 220 GWh, has evolved out of TrustPower's original Dobson generation proposal. It is designed to assist the West Coast meet growing electricity demand, and improve efficiency through reduced electricity losses from transmission.

Under the Arnold proposal, which has a projected cost of $185m, water will be drawn from the Arnold River at the existing Arnold dam, and conveyed to a storage pond and power station before being discharged back to the Arnold River via a regulation pond.

TrustPower Chief Executive Keith Tempest says getting to the point of actually filing a resource consent application for significant West Coast generation represents a milestone after many years of effort to bring adequate generation to the people of the region.

"With the benefit of time we believe we now have a proposal that will meet the needs of the region, both in terms of generating electricity, and maintaining a good balance between development and the protection of social, environmental, recreational and cultural values."

TrustPower considers that its extensive process of design, assessment, consultation, thorough environmental, social and economic benefits and continual re-evaluation has been beneficial. It has produced a scheme design that will provide a substantial, secure, sustainable source of urgently needed electricity for the West Coast. In addition, during the construction period, the scheme will generate employment opportunities and secondary economic benefits.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>