Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Housing NZ Responds To Herald on Sunday

9 April 2006

Housing New Zealand Corporation

Response to matters raised in the Herald on Sunday.

Statement by Pat Snedden, Chair of Housing New Zealand Corporation

The clause in a settlement agreement restricting a former contractor to Housing New Zealand Corporation from taking his concerns about the Corporation to the Minister or a Member of Parliament was not appropriate, the chairman of Housing New Zealand Corporation, Pat Snedden said today.

"It is neither the ethical or policy position of the Corporation to contractually prevent public servants from access to the Minister and I do not support such restrictions, nor do I support financial penalties for taking such action.

"In respect to the balance of the letter, the confidentiality is standard practice to protect employees from being named in respect to unproven allegations that are subject to a review which is yet to be concluded."

Mr Snedden said Housing New Zealand Corporation's intention was and is to conduct a proper investigation to the satisfaction of its external auditors of all the matters raised by the former contractor.

"The allegations in question have been the subject of internal investigation in as far as the detail supplied has been examined.

"To date nothing has been found that gives me cause for concern."

Action to date

Mr Snedden said with the allegations now in the public arena, he had asked Housing New Zealand Corporation's external auditors Ernst & Young to review all matters related to the statement of facts provided by the contractor and to report their findings to the Board as soon as practicable.

"I will be briefing Ernst & Young on Monday in respect to the terms of reference," he said.

"In the meantime, the Chief Executive of Housing New Zealand Corporation Helen Fulcher has stood down the General Manager Assurance Services Gerard Coles to ensure full transparency is observed during the period of the Ernst & Young review. Mr Coles will be available to Ernst & Young for assistance if required.

"Once the Board has had the opportunity to review the report from Ernst & Young, it is my intention to release it for public distribution," said Mr Snedden.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>