Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Closure of Friday Flash

April 20, 2006

Closure of Friday Flash

Statement made by Peter O’Hara, Chief Operating Officer/Editor-in-Chief, Fairfax New Zealand.

New Zealand’s dedicated racing weekly newspaper, the Friday Flash, is to cease publication tomorrow (Friday, April 21).

Fairfax New Zealand chief operating officer and editor-in-chief Peter O’Hara said: “We would like to express our thanks to the loyal readers and advertisers who’ve supported the paper over the years.

“Regrettably we have been faced for some time with the knowledge that demand for the Friday Flash was falling. The practicalities of producing a specialist title on very tight timeframes, then distributing copies to a relatively small market spread across the country, mean its continued publication is no longer viable.

“Some experienced and dedicated staff and contributors have been involved in the production of the Flash, a number of them for some considerable time. We are grateful to them for their efforts.”

Seven positions will be made redundant as a result of the paper’s closure. This process has been agreed with the individuals concerned following a period of consultation.

Staff remaining will concentrate on the company’s other specialist racing titles, Best Bets and Turf Digest, where a number of improvements are planned.

“We are keen to build stronger racebooks incorporating some additional features we know readers will like. We see a strong and exciting future for our racing titles with some enhancements over the coming weeks and months,” Mr O’Hara said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>