Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Access – Private Property Rights Unclear

21 April 2006

Access – Private Property Rights Unclear

“Farmers will be expecting any outcome from consultation on outdoor walking access to reflect true consensus,” said Bruce McNab, access spokesman for Federated Farmers of New Zealand (Inc).

Mr McNab was referring to the access discussion document released today by the Walking Access Consultation Panel.

The panel was formed when the government scrapped its controversial access reforms after the federation’s Action Orange campaign last year.

“It is disappointing that the principles adopted by the panel do not contain an unequivocal statement that landowner’s property rights must be protected.

“Federated Farmers agrees that public access across public land to reach publicly owned resources should be certain and enduring. The best way for that to be achieved is through public ownership of that access acquired through purchase.

“However, it has long been shown that it is possible to get regular and certain access over private land when good relationships have been developed with the landowners,” said Mr McNab.

Federated Farmers’ surveys show that over 90 percent of landowners provide free access if asked.

“Recognising the right of landowners to enjoy the privacy of their own property and to manage who comes onto that property is fundamental to the way of life of all New Zealanders,” said Mr McNab.

Federated Farmers will be looking carefully at the detail of the access principles released today to ascertain that any implementation will not undermine landowner’s private property rights.

There are 25 nationwide meetings planned for consultation on the issues surrounding walking access to and along rivers, lakes and the coast. The first meeting is on May 16.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>