Happy Birthday NIVEA
Happy Birthday NIVEA – The New Zealand Beauty Icon Comes
NIVEA Creme Celebrates Its 95th Birthday
NIVEA Creme turns 95 this month! Soothing skin since 1911, the versatile creamy formulation revolutionised the beauty industry combining oil and water in the world’s first stable moisturiser.
Throughout the generations, NIVEA Creme and its replenishing, nourishing and protective properties has cared for skin at every stage of life from soothing babies’ bottoms and nurturing delicate teenage skin to cooling male skin after shaving and adding essential moisture to older skin.
This phenomenally simple yet useful white cream has
a myriad of uses making it a must have in the bathroom
cabinet or handbag:
• A medicine chest in a jar, the Vitamin B5 ingredient is a panacea for minor skin irritations, cuts, burns, and sore runny noses.
• A trusty companion to protect the skin against the harsh effects of cold and wind in wintry weather.
• Nourishes sensitive skin areas, like the lips, especially in the sun and surf.
• Perfect to protect skin from the drying effects of air conditioning in the office or on long flights.
• Acts as a fine, water repellent layer protecting skin from the damaging effects of water which makes it highly effective for gardeners’ hands, swimmers and other water related activities.
• A gentle but effective make up remover, even for waterproof mascara, and useful as a hydrating facial mask.
• Suitable for smoothing fly away hair and protecting the scalp from stains when dying hair.
• An effective shave gel alternative that will not dry skin.
• A kind moisturiser for pregnant women as the simple formulation is only very lightly scented and contains no preservatives or colourings.
• A nourishing and water protective hand cream for both males and females.
The last 95 years have seen dramatic changes in New Zealand. Newmarket built the first movie theatre in 1911, women received the vote, cars became common-place and today we are all riding the information age. But through this evolution and upheaval, NIVEA Creme remains virtually unchanged – such is the effectiveness of this amazingly useful and trusted white cream. Even the iconic packaging has altered little since the legendary blue jar appeared in 1925.
Developed in Germany by pharmacist Oscar Troplowitz, and his associate, dermatologist Professor Paul Gerson Unna, the pair brought an end to women using rough curd soap and water. Avoiding all preservatives and colourings, Oscar and Paul accomplished what had been deemed impossible at the time, combining oil and water with a perfect trio of glycerine, Panthenol and Eucerit – all of which enhances the skin’s natural role as a protective shield against the elements.
Today NIVEA Creme is sold in over 170 countries worldwide.