At our AGM in February 06 the following appointments were made:
- Rasik Lal Executive Director
- Zaid Mohammed Treasurer.
The following were elected to the Council:-
- Graeme Eliott
- Zaid Mohammed
- Habeeb Jmaldeen
Attached is our article " What is NZAA?" that explains what we are.
New Zealand Association of Accountants Inc.
May 10, 2006
What is NZAA?
Accountants and Auditors either qualified overseas or in New Zealand as certified public, certified practising, certified management, members of other professional accounting bodies, chartered or tertiary qualified or who have worked overseas as accountants and auditors and have migrated to New Zealand and those who are employed, self employed or are students. A need and opportunity has arisen that such accountants come together and interact with each other and also with mainstream accountants, special interest groups and supporters to share their knowledge, experiences and the challenges they face and likely solutions and for the economic and social development of our great country New Zealand.
A support group for all such accountants commenced on October 20, 2003 and was incorporated on June 17, 2004. It is called the New Zealand Association of Accountants (NZAA) a non-profit professional organization.
This association is promoting opportunities for networking, fellowship, diversity, support, help, professional and personal development, employment, self-employment, education, sports and social activities.
The NZAA is passionately filling the need for an alternative, active, cohesive, participative, inclusive, user-friendly and progressive self-regulating professional body to unify members. It is an inclusive group and all accountants are welcome to join.
Through unity and networking the group will fully participate in the economic and social development of our great country New Zealand for the benefit of all New Zealanders.
Due to popular demand we have set up an affiliate group in December 2005 the details are as follows:
The Affiliate Group consists of people who are working in our areas of expertise, but do not meet our criteria for membership, or who do not wish to study for our Professional Entry Requirements. Participation in this group entitles you to receive:
- NZAA newsletters
- Invitations to Association functions and seminars
- You must
not use NZAA related initials after your name.
- You must comply with the NZAA Constitution and By – Laws.
- You must stay up-to-date with your membership fees.
- You must not call yourself ACCOUNTANT or PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT.
- You pay a
discounted price for attending NZAA organised events as
others members are entitled.
- You do not receive a NZAA Certificate.
Achievements to date:
- Produced nine newsletters called The New Zealand Accountant
- New Members are being admitted from different industries, groups and countries
- Members reside and work in the following countries, New Zealand, Fiji, USA, South Africa and Botswana
- Consists of members who are also Directors, Managing Directors, Partners, Chief Executives, Finance Managers, Lecturers, Tutors, Chartered Secretaries, Managers, Financial Controllers, Auditors, Chartered Accountants, Chartered Management Accountants, Certified Public Accountants, Certified Practicing Accountants, Business, Financial, Tax and Investment Advisors, Business Coaches and Mentors, Business and Community Leaders, Entrepreneurs, Investors and Trustees
- First overseas
office set up in Fiji at the offices of HLB Crosbie &
Chartered Accountants, Main Street Nandi
- As a result of accelerated growth, we are looking for representatives in cities and towns both locally and internationally and public accountants who are interested please do contact us
- Legal victory
- Made International Federation of Accountants Committee (IFAC) and the Confederation of Asia Pacific Accountants (CAPA) aware of our existence
- A news article on our organization appeared in the leading newspaper Business to Business on page 13, in their October 2005 edition
- Made association with the Chartered Secretaries New Zealand Inc (CSNZ)
- It is two years and eight months now since NZAA was launched and one year and eleven months since incorporation
- The following nineteen committees are in operation and more are envisaged: -
o Newsletter and Journal Committee
o Membership Committee
o Student Committee
o Set Up Committee
o By Laws Committee
o Publicity Committee
o Law Committee
o Education Committee
o Finance Committee
o Professional Development Committee
o Sports & Social Committee
o Migrant Committee
o Recruitment Committee
o Taxation Committee
o Members Benefits Committee
o Disciplinary Committee
o Mentoring Committee
o International Affairs Committee
o Constitutional Committee
A major benefit of Membership is improved professional status and enhanced career prospects.
- This is demonstrated by the fact that members will be expected to carry out all their work within the guidelines of the Association’s Code of Practice
- Members will be expected to improve and maintain their knowledge and skills through the lifelong learning by the structured continued development educational program.
- Entitlement to post-nominals CPPA, APA, AMNZAA, CAP, FMNZAA after your name to demonstrate professional status
- Association with other Professional Accountants Bodies
- Both the immigrant and mainstream accountants and accounting students are warmly welcomed, accepted, appreciated, acknowledged, valued, recognized and respected
- A point of entry for immigrant and mainstream accountants and accounting students to constantly move forward for the greater good of all
- Access to mentoring
- Access to special interest groups
- Free subscription to our newsletter The New Zealand Accountant
Increase in membership would enhance the Membership Benefits Committee to look after various other benefits to members such as:
- Free access to advisory technical panel, which deals with all aspects of accountancy and taxation problems.
- Professional publication of The New Zealand Accountant journal to keep members up-to-date with developments in the accounting profession.
- Networking opportunities through access with other members both locally and internationally
- Employment opportunities
- Business opportunities
- Social and Sports Activities
- Professional and personal development
- Preferential rates on a variety of membership services including; -
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Other Insurances
- Private Medical Care
- Hospital Care
- Investments and Home Finance
- Discounted price on purchase of booklets from CSNZ and invitations to attend their CPD meetings and programs
- Personal Loans etc, etc
For further information and details on joining the Association please contact: -
- Alton A. Shameem JP, B.A (Prof. Acctg/Admin), CPPA, ANZIM, AMNZCS, Founder & President, Phone: 09 488 7808 (Work), Mob: 027 324 6106. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rasik Lal AMNZAA, ACCM, ANZIM, IIA, Executive Director and Chairperson Education Committee, Phone 09 443 5033 (work), Mob 021 169 9973. Email: email@example.com
- Zaid Mohammed MBA, CPPA, CPA, Treasurer & Chairperson Membership Committee Phone 09 627 6262 (Work). Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Vidya Prakash CAP, Chairperson Publicity Committee, Phone 09 263 6583 (Work)
- Dinesh Joshi B. Com, AMNZAA, Chairperson Newsletter & Journal Committee, Phone 09 845 8292 (Work)
- Tuelo Kebaswele B.Sc (Bus. Mgt), MBA, AMNZAA, ACIBM, Chairperson Recruitment Committee, Phone: 09 575 9733
- Mukesh Vrajlal B.A. (Acctg/Fin. Mgt), APA, ACPA (Aust), C.A. (Fj), Chairperson Taxation Committee, Phone: 09 479 3504 (Work)
- Hamish Lal B. Bus. Studies, CPPA, Chairperson Sports & Social Committee, Phone 09 443 5033 (work)
- Graeme Eliott APA, Chairperson Mentoring Committee, Phone 09 575 9733 (Work)
- Habeeb Zmaldeen CPPA, FCMA (UK), Vice President & Chairperson Constitutional Committee, Phone 09 627 9570 (Work)
Please feel free to distribute this news article to all interested parties.
By helping one another we all progress together for the greater good of all and our great country New Zealand and internationally.
Alton A. Shameem JP, B. A. (Prof. Acctg/Admin), COP (Econs), CPPA, ANZIM, AMNZCS, ICSA (13 papers), Adv. Cert. Acctg (Lond), Cert. Com. Studies, Dip. LIA, Cert. ESOL H. Tutoring
Founder and President – Hope Is On The Way