Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


Northpower works hard to fix storm related faults

PRESS RELEASE

Date: Tuesday 13th June 2006

Subject: Northpower works hard to repair storm related faults


Northpower staff were busy from early Monday morning, working hard to repair faults to minimise the power supply outage time for customers. Additional staff were assigned to cope with the workload caused by the stormy conditions.

Most customers affected by the outages went without power for only minutes. A small portion of customers located in remote or exposed places were affected for a few hours. Those affected for the longer periods were in areas which were susceptible to strong gusty winds and severe storm conditions.

Many of the faults were caused by trees, some of which broke wires after being blown into power lines. Trees close to power lines are dangerous and are a major cause of power supply outages, especially in these conditions. Approximately 25% of Monday’s problems were caused by trees.

Northpower’s Network Services Manager Calvin Whaley said, it was a pity that some tree and shelter belt owners did not maintain their trees. Mr Whaley said that regular maintenance (by tree owners) would minimise the risk posed to power lines during high winds and cause less hassle for the large number of customers affected.

Northpower commits year round to providing a safe, reliable, hassle free service. The company has a stringent maintenance regime to ensure that its service remains this way. Northpower carries out regular line inspections to examine the condition of the network and regular maintenance work to ensure that electricity is delivered safely and with minimal disruptions.

It is important to Northpower that customers receive the best possible service and that annual SAIDI figures are kept down. SAIDI is the measure of the average number of minutes customers are without power in a year, due to faults or planned outages. Quality network maintenance and investment in new technologies have resulted in an improving trend of SAIDI over the years. Last year, Northpower came in slightly under the 90 minute target with 89.5 SAIDI minutes, for faults. Although it was not a record low, it was consistent with the average annual reduction of 5.8 minutes, which has occurred over the last 13 years. The reduction means customers are likely to have an hour and a quarter less fault outage time now, than in 1993.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Scoop Business: Port Of Tauranga Takes $21.6M Stake In Timaru’s PrimePort

Port of Tauranga, New Zealand’s busiest export port, has agreed to buy a half stake in PrimePort Timaru in a $21.6 million deal aimed at strengthening the Tauranga site as a hub for coastal shipping. More>>

ALSO:

Need To Sell Moa Beer: Moa Slumps To Record Low After Warning On 2014 Sales

Moa Group is the worst performing stock on New Zealand’s benchmark index, dropping to a record low, after the boutique beer maker said it will miss its 2014 sales forecasts as volumes sold in New Zealand and Australia lag expectations. More>>

Now In Red: Martin Aircraft Company Reveals Latest Jetpack

Martin Aircraft Company’s CEO, Peter Coker, said that the P12 prototype was a “huge step up” from the previous prototype. More>>

Scoop Business: Meridian Earnings Strong, But Smelter Deal Cuts Value

Meridian Energy has turned in a strong 53 percent increase in underlying net profit after tax of $162.7 million, but has had to write down the total value of its assets by $476 million to reflect the lower power prices it will get from the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter. More>>

ALSO:

Quake Rules Announced: Owners Urged To Strengthen Buildings Over Minimum

The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering has urged building owners to strengthen earthquake prone buildings to double the Government’s minimum requirement... More>>

ALSO:

Power Market: Tiwai Point Smelter Safe To Jan 2017 Under New Power Deal

Meridian Energy has had to give up previously negotiated price increases and the government has chipped in with a $30 million “incentive payment” to keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open until at least January 2017. More>>

ALSO:

Telecommunications Review: Government's Telco Intervention "Unprecedented"

Today's announcement by the government effectively puts the needs of Chorus's shareholders ahead of those of every day New Zealanders, says the chief executive of the Telecommunication Users Association of New Zealand, Paul Brislen... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
THE WESTPORT STORY
Told by Scoop

Scoop Amplifier paid a 3-day visit to Westport and the Buller District to begin to gain some on-the-spot perspectives into just how steep a battle the majority of Coasters are facing to find ways to tell the story of their intertwined environmental and economic prospects.

See:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news