Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

New look for New Zealand’s oldest Sunday paper

New look for New Zealand’s oldest Sunday paper

The iconic Sunday News red-top masthead will get its first makeover in 35 years this weekend.

The tabloid was New Zealand’s only Sunday newspaper when it was launched in 1963, and the current masthead was introduced in 1970.

Along with the new masthead there will be a number of other exciting changes to the paper in response to market research and reader feedback.

Chris Baldock, editor of the Sunday News, says the changes are designed to appeal to the existing 443,000 readers and advertisers, while also attracting a new audience.

“Everyone knows time is at a premium for most readers, even on a Sunday. The key is to make Sunday News as user-friendly as possible to our loyal and valued readership, as well as to encourage new and younger readers.

“We know the current masthead is an old and familiar friend to a lot of people, but we are sure readers will embrace the new style. The new masthead is significantly different and makes a bold statement, but at the same time doesn’t lose touch with what Sunday News stands for.

“More importantly, though, it signals that the paper is changing – and changing for the better. That is a message we want to make clear to both readers and advertisers.”

From July 2, Sunday News will increase from 72 to 80 pages. The paper will feature improved news and sports coverage, with the SN2 entertainment lift-out focussing on the best of television, movies and music.

“Tweenagers” can look forward to their own pages, there will be more showbiz news and plenty of opportunities for readers to provide feedback and interact with the paper.

“Sunday News will continue to provide a great read for a wide range of New Zealanders with lots of added value and enhancements added to the mix,” Chris Baldock said.
 

ENDS

 

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>