Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Iwi has the opportunity to reach a new milestone

Ngati Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated

PRESS RELEASE
Thursday 14th July 2006

Ngati Kahungunu has the opportunity to reach a new milestone on July 22nd as members vote on constitutional changes that could result in an estimated $25 million worth of fish quota and $25 million of shares in Aotearoa Fisheries Limited returning to the iwi.

Constitutional changes include Board downsizing from 21 to 10 members, a new election process for Board members and a withdrawal mechanism for Rongomaiwahine.

About 30,000 Ngati Kahungunu members from 18 years of age are eligible to vote. Ballot papers have been posted to 7,500 members who are already on the register. Others are able to register to vote at the Hui-a-Iwi to be held on 22 July 2006 at Kahuranaki Marae or can register to receive a postal ballot. Ngati Kahungunu needs 75% agreement of those voting to proceed to the settlement stage.

Ngahiwi Tomoana says that ‘if this threshold is achieved, it will bring to an end a long and winding road, that has been travelled from marae to marae, High Court to Court of Appeal, to the Privy Council twice and to Parliament which introduced the Maori Fisheries Act in September last year.

It has been one of the most hotly contested debates ever amongst Maori to determine who should be the recipient and manager of this Treaty Settlement: whanau, hapu, iwi, urban groups or individuals. The view that iwi is the rightful recipient has prevailed.’

Ngati Kahungunu has established an Asset Holding Company to manage these resources on behalf of the iwi.

One of the principle advocates for Ngati Kahungunu was Eru Smith on behalf of the Takitimu District Council. He was followed by Billy Gemmell, Ben Couch, Tohara Mohi, John Scott, Albert Walker, Murray Hemopo and Monti Paku, all who have long passed on.

‘It is a relief that Ngati Kahungunu is nearing the end of this long road and can move on in pursuit of new goals and broader horizons.’ Ngahiwi Tomoana said.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>