Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Commerce Commission delays damaging industry

21 July 2006

Commerce Commission delays damaging creation of mobile competition

Econet Wireless New Zealand (Econet) today publicly expressed concern about how long it is taking the Commerce Commission to make judgments on the anti-competitive behavior of monopoly businesses.

Econet welcomed the Telecommunications Commissioner's announcement on 10 May that he would consider whether certain behavioural practices by the incumbents were deterring entry. However, that consideration seems to have stalled.

In the meantime, Econet filed a complaint with the Commerce Commission over six weeks ago regarding those very practices. Econet is concerned that Vodafone decided to cut prices and lock in customers for up to three years, at the same time that Econet opened its switch site and commenced initial network build.

Econet is excited about mobile price cuts, and has budgeted real prices to drop up to 80% in New Zealand. However, it is concerned that locking in customers and closed network txting practices by incumbents with entrenched market positions is intended to inhibit competitive entry and is anti-competitive.

Network operators who have significant market power should be prohibited from engaging in this kind of behavior, as is often the case in other OECD markets where little or no competition exists.

New Zealand is a country where bad network behavior has traditionally been tolerated. Econet's chief project director, Tex Edwards, observed that the extraordinary Saturn/Telecom decision of 1998, where pocket pricing was permitted, and the outcome of the legendary Clear/Telecom dispute have prevented much needed network builds.

Edwards publicly urged the Commerce Commission to expedite analysis of its complaint, and the Telecommunications Commissioner to commence his investigation in terms of his May 10 letter, to facilitate desperately needed competition in the mobile phone industry.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>