Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Broadcasters Say Ad Ban will not reduce Obesity

New Zealand Television Broadcasters’ Council

MEDIA RELEASE Embargoed until 12 noon

Wednesday 26 July 2006

Television Broadcasters Say Ad Ban will not reduce Obesity


The leading free to air television companies have today told the Health Select Committee enquiry into Obesity that the link between the television advertising of foods, fast food outlets, beverages and sweets and obesity is very small compared to the influence of parents and other societal factors. A ban on such advertising on television is therefore unlikely to have any significant impact on obesity levels.

The New Zealand Television Broadcasters’ Council, representing TVNZ and CanWest TVWorks, told the MPs that free to air broadcasters were working with the Government on its Healthy Eating, Healthy Actions strategy aimed at bringing about real change in obesity levels.

The NZTBC’s executive director, Bruce Wallace, said that for the last ten years no advertising at all had been allowed by the broadcasters in all programmes aimed at under 5 year olds and advertising had been restricted to 10 minutes per hour in school age programming. This amounted to over 2 hours of restricted advertising per day covering TV2 and TV3.

Only 17% of advertising in these programmes for school age children under 14 was for food, sweets and beverages. The most popular advertising products were toys and games.

Mr Wallace accepted that most children also watched television from 6 to 8.30 pm but even then the level of food and beverage advertising had fallen by 12% since 2002. In 2005, it accounted for about 19% of all television advertising during that period.

The NZTBC told the Select Committee that banning food advertising on television would not only be ineffective in curbing obesity but it would also damage the local television production industry and could cause a severe reduction in programmes specially made and screened for children.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>