Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Northland Family Stunned By Big Wednesday Win

27 July 2006

Northland Family Stunned By Big Wednesday Win

A stunned Northland family has claimed the region's first Big Wednesday First Division prize, Chief Executive Todd McLeay said today.

The winner, who wishes to remain anonymous, shared the First Division prize with a ticket bought in Palmerston North, so have won a cash prize of just under $1.3 million.

The winner missed the draw as they were working, but checked their ticket after seeing in the paper that a prize had been won in Kaikohe, where their ticket was purchased.

"I checked the ticket while my partner read out the numbers. I got to the bottom line, read it and said "Oh my God, I've got the ticket"," said the winner.

The family is still coming to grips with their win, but have already made plans for part of their winnings.

The winning ticket was sold by Broadway Paper Plus in Kaikohe.

"This is the second time Big Wednesday First Division has been won this month. It just goes to show that Big Wednesday prizes can be won at any time in the jackpot cycle," said Mr McLeay.

Last night's two Big Wednesday First Division wins takes the total of Big Wednesday millionaires to six since the game started in October 2005. The top prizes have been won in Thames, Auckland, Whangamata, Pakuranga, Kaikohe and Palmerston North.

The other First Division winning ticket, sold by Plaza Lotto in Palmerston North, is still to be claimed.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>