Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Cut a Major Blow to Wellington Tourism

Thursday 23 November 2006

Tasman Airline Schedule Cut a Major Blow to Wellington Tourism

Air New Zealand’s announcement today to reduce Trans Tasman air services to Wellington is a major blow to Wellington tourism, says the city’s tourism marketing organisation.

“Air capacity, frequency and price are critical to driving growth out of the Australian visitor market,” says Positively Wellington Tourism CEO Tim Cossar. “This reduction in capacity will make it more challenging to grow this strategically important market.”

“Positively Wellington Tourism has targeted the Australian market aggressively in recent years and overall market growth has been solid. We have a number of challenges in the market getting Wellington accepted as a short break visitor destination. Any reduction in capacity is likely to seriously impact on our ability to grow the market in the short-term.”

“We are committed to the Australian market and plan to continue investing in joint venture marketing activities. Airlines are critical to this, and we need to work even more closely with them, to build further capacity into the future.”

“Air New Zealand, as the national carrier, is a critical player in the New Zealand tourism industry. We partner with them on a number of campaigns, and remain committed to working with them as we strive to position Wellington as a destination of choice in the Australian market.”

Australian visitor market facts

- Australia is Wellington’s largest international visitor market.
- Wellington attracts around 200,000 Australian visitors per year, out of a total of 590,000.
- Australians account for 929,000 international visitor nights, out of a total of 3.7 million international visitor nights.
- Positively Wellington Tourism and its partners currently invest $650,000 a year in Wellington’s Australian marketing campaign. The campaign forms part of Tourism New Zealand’s ‘What’s On’ campaign.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>