Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Domestic visitor spend exceeds $7b level

Media Statement

Domestic visitor spend exceeds $7b level

EMBARGOED until: Friday 1 December 2006, 12:00 noon

Research just released by the Ministry of Tourism shows that domestic travellers within New Zealand spent $7.1 billion in the year to June 2006, an increase of 4.9% compared to the same period the previous year.

“It’s encouraging to see the spend increase by domestic travellers. A substantial proportion of this increase has been driven by holiday travellers rather than those on business or visiting friends and family,” says Bruce Bassett, Research Manager, Ministry of Tourism.

“The research shows that spending on overnight trips increased by 10.4% to $4.6 billion, even though the number of overnight trips declined by 2.7% to 14.3 million."

Day trip spending fell by 4.0% to $2.5 billion. The actual number of day trips fell by 5.2% to 29.1 million.

Spending by those on holiday increased by the most significant proportion (up 15.3% to $2.8b), followed by those visiting friends and relatives (up 4.6% to $2b), and business travellers (up 3.3% to $1.7b).

Mr Bassett said the data showed that much of the spend increase was driven by higher transport related expenditure that increased by 14.9% to $2.2 billion – a result attributed to high fuel prices and a slight increase of 1.1% in the number of nights spent away from home."

The Domestic Travel Survey is a telephone survey of 15,000 New Zealand residents undertaken throughout the year. A range of data and reports from the survey are available on the Ministry of Tourism’s research website – www.tourismresearch.govt.nz For further information, contact Markus Landvogt – telephone (04) 474 2683 or email markus.landvogt@tourism.govt.nz.

ENDS

Ministry of Tourism:
www.tourism.govt.nz
www.tourismresearch.govt.nz

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>