Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Nelson power workers take industrial action

December 1, 1006


Media Release

Nelson power workers take industrial action


Nelson electricity workers whose boss won’t give them a pay rise are refusing to do overtime or out-of-town work.

Thirty-six workers at network maintenance company United Group launched industrial action yesterday in frustration at the company’s constant refusal to agree to a pay rise, despite long hours of negotiation and mediation.

“It is, quite simply, unbelievable that a major, profitable Australasian company like United Group thinks it can get away with a zero pay rise,” said Engineering, Printing and Manufacturing Union national secretary Andrew Little.

“Many of these workers haven’t had a pay rise in four years, and they’re saying enough is enough.”

Most of the workers were on about $20 an hour, compared to around $26 an hour for comparable trades, he said.

“This is a highly skilled industry, and there is a world-wide shortage of personnel. Other countries are actively recruiting in New Zealand for people with these skills. United risks losing staff if it doesn’t get serious about its pay rates.”

Mr Little said that the industrial action was limited at this stage.

“The guys are not doing any overtime and they’re not going away on overnight work,” he said.

“We hope that that be will enough to make the company see sense.”

Workers rostered for emergency fault work would turn out, but could not call out anyone else, Mr Little said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>