Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

No rush for SOP for Kiwisaver; more fixes needed

Wednesday, December 13th, 2006

No rush for SOP for Kiwisaver; more fixes needed

Extending the tax breaks in KiwiSaver to existing super schemes operated by employers was sensible and had to happen, the Employers & Manufacturers Association (Northern) says.

But there is no need to rush through a Supplementary Order Paper to include the provision because other KiwiSaver issues also need fixing.

"We raised the matter of extending the KiwiSaver tax advantages to existing company super schemes with Dr Cullen and we're pleased this is to be done," said Alasdair Thompson, EMA's chief executive.

"If it wasn't attended to, large organizations such as health boards with thousands of employees would be detrimentally affected.

"To join however all super schemes will have to have their trust deeds amended.

"Of equal concern to employers and still outstanding is the treatment of casual employees under the scheme.

"KiwiSaver was designed as though it could be applied to casual workers but an error was made in assuming that casuals have continuous employment service. The law has determined they do not.

"As well, tracking their employment record for KiwiSaver entitlements would be ridiculously difficult if not impossible.

"Revenue Minister Peter Dunne has advised us the issue is to be fixed but not until next May, just days before employers have to implement the scheme. They need much earlier clarification.

"We also fail to understand why people over 65 don't qualify to join KiwiSaver, which seems to be discriminatory. They should be able to join for a minimum of five years, the same as for people under 65.

"People under 18 should be able to join too; it would be unjust to exclude them.

"We would like to see all of these KiwiSaver issues fixed at the same time early in the New Year."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Media Mega Merger: StuffMe Hearing Argues Over Moveable Feast

New Zealand's two largest news publishers are appealing against the Commerce Commission's rejection of the proposal to merge their operations. More>>

Elsewhere:


Approval: Northern Corridor Decision Released

The approval gives the green light to construction of the last link of Auckland’s Western Ring Route, providing an alternative route from South Auckland to the North Shore. More>>

ALSO:


Crown Accounts: $4.1 Billion Surplus

The New Zealand Government has achieved its third fiscal surplus in a row with the Crown accounts for the year ended 30 June 2017 showing an OBEGAL surplus of $4.1 billion, $2.2 billion stronger than last year, Finance Minister Steven Joyce says. More>>

ALSO:

Mycoplasma Bovis: One New Property Tests Positive

The newly identified property... was already under a Restricted Place notice under the Biosecurity Act. More>>

Accounting Scandal: Suspension Of Fuji Xerox From All-Of-Government Contract

General Manager of New Zealand Government Procurement John Ivil says, “FXNZ has been formally suspended from the Print Technology and Associated Services (PTAS) contract and terminated from the Office Supplies contract.” More>>