Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 


South Island Set To Lose $2.7 Billion

Monday 5 March 2007

South Island Set To Lose $2.7 Billion From Govt Carbon Credit Grab

The South Island could lose at least $2.7 billion and potentially up to $4.2 billion from the Government's decision to nationalise Kyoto carbon credits legitimately owned by forest owners and forestry investors, the Kyoto Forestry Association (KFA) said today.

The association released the calculation on the eve of the Government's consultation meeting at Christchurch's Russley Hotel at 9:45 am tomorrow, Tuesday 6 March.

It is based on an estimate of the area of post-1990 Kyoto-qualifying forestry in the South Island, derived from official MAF forest area data by age class and territorial authority, and an estimate that carbon credit values will reach between $13,000 and $20,000 per hectare during the life of a forest.

Canterbury's loss will fall at between $575 million and $885 million, according to the analysis.

KFA spokesman Roger Dickie said more than 1,400 forest owners had attended MAF consultation meetings in the North Island and Nelson, and had delivered an overwhelming message rejecting the Government's confiscation of carbon credits and its plans for massive new taxes on the forestry industry.

"Canterbury forest owners need to unite with the rest of the industry and make the message unanimous throughout the country," Mr Dickie said. "We need to leave the Government in no doubt that we will never accept our carbon credits, or any other property, being confiscated by the Government without compensation."

Kyoto carbon credits, which the Government plans to confiscate, are earned by those individuals and businesses that sequestered carbon by planting new forestry since 1990, and by those industries which have cut their carbon emissions since then.

Through the 1990s and the early part of this decade, officials under both National and Labour Governments made clear that forestry investors would gain financially from the credits, which are a clear property right, as confirmed by the Treasury.

This fuelled a planting boom with 30,000 ordinary New Zealanders and forestry companies putting up as much as $400 million per annum of their own risk capital to invest in more than 600,000 hectares of new forest - both because of the benefits predicted to arise both from the sale of wood products and from carbon credits earned from carbon sequestration. In Canterbury, KFA estimates that approximately 44,000 hectares of Kyoto-qualifying forestry was planted.

Since the Government first indicated that it intended to confiscate the credits, tree planting in New Zealand has plunged and New Zealand is now experiencing deforestation for the first time in living memory.

Mr Dickie said the Government had previously indicated it would limit its confiscation of the credits to those associated with the First Commitment Period of the Kyoto Protocol, costing forest owners nationwide as much as $2.5 billion. Now, however, Government officials are indicating it may extend the confiscation to the Second Commitment Period, putting eventual losses nationwide up to at least $8 billion and potentially many billions more.

"The chainsaw massacre we are seeing across the country, and particularly in Canterbury, is caused by a collapse in confidence in the industry," Mr Dickie said.

"Forestry operates over a 30-year investment horizon. Forestry investors need stability in Government policy and certainty that property rights will be respected over the long-term.

"The Government has neither provided policy stability nor respected property rights, so new forest planting has plunged and the chainsaws have been revved up.

"The Government needs to understand that if it wants tree planting to start up again, it needs to restore confidence amongst forestry investors.

"Confidence cannot be restored by cheap subsidy schemes. Confidence can only be restored by returning our post-1990 carbon credits to us."

Mr Dickie said the time was fast approaching when all political parties would be expected by the industry to firm up their policy commitments to it.

"Forest owners are the environmental and economic good guys," he said. "We employ around 25,000 New Zealanders, we are the fourth largest export earner in the country, our trees protect the quality of our land and we are crucial to the fight against climate change that both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition have been talking so much about.

"We know our industry, and what makes it tick. We expect the Government and the Opposition to endorse the six-point plan to get forest planting underway again, which was agreed last year by all key players in the industry, including the New Zealand Forest Owners Association (NZFOA), the New Zealand Farm Forestry Association (NZFFA), the Federation of Maori Authorities (FOMA) and KFA."

END

Attached: Background Information NZ Forestry Industry's Six-Point Plan to Get Planting Underway Again NZ Forest Plantings 1990-2005

Inquiries: Roger Dickie Kyoto Forestry Association Ph: 027 4428687

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

The New Zealand Forestry Industry's Six-Point Plan

1. Remove the inequitable, retrospective 'deforestation cap'.

2. Allow land owners with Kyoto-qualifying forests (forests planted from 1990) - as well as those replanting non-Kyoto forests after harvest - to financially benefit from the value of the carbon their forests remove from the atmosphere.

3. Introduce broad-based carbon charges, ensuring that all emitters of greenhouse gases face the same opportunity costs.

4. Ensure that New Zealand's Kyoto policies have the best long-term outcomes for New Zealand, even if they don't exactly mirror current Kyoto rules.

5. Develop a regime which puts a value on the environmental attributes of forestry, thereby encouraging investment in the sector.

6. Act immediately.


New Zealand Forest Plantings 1990-2005

Year Hectares 1990 16,000 1991 15,000 1992 50,000 1993 62,000 1994 98,000 1995 74,000 1996 84,000 1997 64,000 1998 51,000 1999 40,000 2000 34,000 2001 30,000 2002 22,000 2003 20,000 2004 11,000 2005 6,000

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Sky City : Auckland Convention Centre Cost Jumps By A Fifth

SkyCity Entertainment Group, the casino and hotel operator, is in talks with the government on how to fund the increased cost of as much as $130 million to build an international convention centre in downtown Auckland, with further gambling concessions ruled out. The Auckland-based company has increased its estimate to build the centre to between $470 million and $530 million as the construction boom across the country drives up building costs and design changes add to the bill.
More>>

ALSO:

RMTU: Mediation Between Lyttelton Port And Union Fails

The Rail and Maritime Union (RMTU) has opted to continue its overtime ban indefinitely after mediation with the Lyttelton Port of Christchurch (LPC) failed to progress collective bargaining. More>>

Earlier:

Science Policy: Callaghan, NSC Funding Knocked In Submissions

Callaghan Innovation, which was last year allocated a budget of $566 million over four years to dish out research and development grants, and the National Science Challenges attracted criticism in submissions on the government’s draft national statement of science investment, with science funding largely seen as too fragmented. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Business: Spark, Voda And Telstra To Lay New Trans-Tasman Cable

Spark New Zealand and Vodafone, New Zealand’s two dominant telecommunications providers, in partnership with Australian provider Telstra, will spend US$70 million building a trans-Tasman submarine cable to bolster broadband traffic between the neighbouring countries and the rest of the world. More>>

ALSO:

More:

Statistics: Current Account Deficit Widens

New Zealand's annual current account deficit was $6.1 billion (2.6 percent of GDP) for the year ended September 2014. This compares with a deficit of $5.8 billion (2.5 percent of GDP) for the year ended June 2014. More>>

ALSO:

Still In The Red: NZ Govt Shunts Out Surplus To 2016

The New Zealand government has pushed out its targeted return to surplus for a year as falling dairy prices and a low inflation environment has kept a lid on its rising tax take, but is still dangling a possible tax cut in 2017, the next election year and promising to try and achieve the surplus pledge on which it campaigned for election in September. More>>

ALSO:

Job Insecurity: Time For Jobs That Count In The Meat Industry

“Meat Workers face it all”, says Graham Cooke, Meat Workers Union National Secretary. “Seasonal work, dangerous jobs, casual and zero hours contracts, and increasing pressure on workers to join non-union individual agreements. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 
Standards New Zealand

Standards New Zealand
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Business
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news